Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin chocolate-chip cake

So while browsing Pinterest I came across a pin that linked to this fabulous recipe: Two Ingredients Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze from Big Red Kitchen. I have had a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix in my cupboard for quite some time (I love yellow cake w/chocolate frosting!) However, I have been avoiding making it because cake is so fattening and full of sugar. Anyway, I decided to give this a try: after all, it looked interesting, it was a good recipe for this time of year, and I tend to love pumpkin breads, muffins, etc.

This recipe would be good for those who have allergies or are avoiding eggs and fattening butters/oils. Try making it with a gluten-free cake mix to make it even healthier. Apparently you can use any cake mix you want (chocolate, spice, etc.) and some have even used a brownie mix and substituted the pumpkin pureé for the wet ingredients there. My suggestion? Try different combinations out to your liking. Below is my variation of the recipe.

I found that this cake was absolutely delicious; moist, with a wonderful texture, and only a slight hint of a pumpkin flavor. One could spice it up with pumpkin pie spice, if they preferred. I added a cream cheese glaze to the top of mine, but realized that it really did not need it at all. I will include the recipe for my glaze, but I think it would be better plain, or with perhaps just a slight sprinkling of powdered sugar, or a cinnamon-chocolate glaze.


Easy Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Cake
Yield: 12 Servings
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 15 oz. can 100% pumpkin pureé (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 c. (4 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. In your stand mixer or in a large bowl mix cake mix with pumpkin pureé. Beat on medium for 2 minutes or until well blended. Batter will be thick. Carefully fold in chocolate chips. Spread batter into a greased 7x11 inch baking dish (please note that this isn't your usual 13x9 - with this substitution the cake WILL be smaller). Bake for 28 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting (unless glazing; then glaze when cake is still warm, but not hot).


Cream Cheese Glaze
(I like to go easy on the glaze; you may double this if desired)
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. fresh orange juice
1/2 tbsp. low-fat milk 

Place powdered sugar and cream cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Add orange juice and milk 1/2 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Drizzle on warm cake. Note: If desired, you can omit orange juice and increase milk to 1 1/2 tablespoons, or use water instead of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment