Saturday, October 8, 2011

Recipe: Easy Tortilla Soup

In my first blog post, I mentioned the tortilla soup that we tasted during the Vita-Mix presentation. Well, I never got the exact recipe from the presenter, so I decided to create my own. Please note that there is some cheese in this recipe; you may omit if necessary, as I have made it both ways and it is delicious either way.
As always, I certainly invite you to try this recipe in your own blenders or other machines -- just follow the directions as your instructional manual suggests.

Easy Tortilla Soup
(Vita-Mix Recipe)
2 cups of hot water
1 tomato
1 slender carrot
1/2 stalk celery
1 thick slice yellow onion
1/4 medium red bell pepper
1/4 - 1/2 Anaheim chili pepper, to taste
1/2 small potato, baked (optional; makes for a creamier soup)
1 clove garlic
1/3 c. shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese (or your favorite)
1 tablespoon Knorr's® tomato/chicken bouillon (or use vegetarian boullion, if desired)
5 shakes of Spike® seasoning
6 shakes of Mexican seasoning
Few sprigs of cilantro (to taste)
6 oz. black beans, drained
Handful of Mission® Tortilla strips
  1. Place all ingredients except tortilla strips and black beans on High speed until steaming hot. 
  2. Switch to Variable 2 and add black beans and tortilla strips. Blend until chopped.
Dustin and I love this, and it's a quick and healthy soup that we enjoy frequently! We sometimes make it healthier by omitting the cheese and the potato, and we go easy on the tortilla chips. Trust me, a little can go a long way with this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment